It is the mission of the Ferry, Pend Oreille and Stevens County Juvenile Department to hold juvenile offenders accountable for their crimes by ensuring reparation with victims and to advance the safety and well being of our community by reducing juvenile at-risk and criminal behavior. The Tri-County Juvenile Court is a branch of the Tri-County Superior Court.
The Tri-County Juvenile Court has exclusive jurisdiction over those juveniles within Ferry, Pend Oreille and Stevens Counties who violate the criminal laws of the State, who are in need of protection and/or advocacy as a result of abuse, neglect, or abandonment, or who are brought to the attention of the court through a civil petition process for at-risk behavior or truancy.
The Juvenile Court and Juvenile Probation Department believe that the guiding principles as stated below are the mission of the Juvenile Probation Department and should be reflected in all of the operations, programs and practices of the Juvenile Probation Department and its individual officers, as well as the agencies to whom the department refers clients for additional services.
* The Juvenile Court and Juvenile Probation Department shall provide a balanced system of justice according to the laws of the State of Washington for juvenile delinquents, victims, and the community for youth who have committed crimes.
* The Juvenile Probation Department and its officers shall service all clients -- delinquent youth, parents and families, victims, law enforcement officers, agency representations and the public -- with equal respect, dignity and sensitivity.
* The Juvenile Probation Department and its officers will strive to provide leadership to the community in providing a concerned and caring atmosphere in which the needs of youth, the community in providing a concerned and caring atmosphere in which the needs of youth, the victim and the community can be provided whenever possible within local communities; and to assist the community in establishing programs to prevent delinquency and intervene when it does occur.
* The Juvenile Probation Department shall strive to preserve the unity of the family by providing services within the home and local community whenever possible while assuring the protection of victims and the public. Placement out-of-home shall be warranted only when necessary for the needs of the youth and/or the protection of the community. When placement is necessary, they should be to the least restrictive and shortest-term facility consistent with the needs of the youth and of public safety, and to facilities where the continued participation of the family with the youth and his treatment is possible.
* The Juvenile Probation Department shall strive to have sufficient capacity in staffing and resources to provide an efficient and effective response to juvenile crime.
* The Juvenile Probation Department shall assure fairness and equity in the provision of all of its services and actions.
* The Juvenile Probation Department shall maintain the confidentiality of its records for youth, families and victims in accordance with law.
* The Juvenile Probation Department and its officers shall be committed to maintaining the highest standards of professional conduct.
The Juvenile Probation Department works closely with community leaders, schools and law enforcement to provide safe communities. We are committed to provide outstanding services to offenders and their families as well as the community we serve. We provide a range of services including intensive supervision and random drug testing.
The Juvenile Department is responsible for the provision of diversion, community supervision (probation) and Court.